What type of energy does a black hole have? (Intermediate)

My name is Ryan and I have pondered this question for a long time but I have a limited knowledge on space physics. What type of energy does a black hole produce (electrical, thermal ect.)?

The only way we can detect black holes is through the effect that their gravitating mass has on objects outside the event horizon. These objects can gain energy from the black hole, as they fall into the potential well they heat up and radiate (often in the X-ray region of the spectrum). So black holes have gravitational energy from their mass. A black hole could also have charge, but this is rare in the universe which is largely neutral. Many black holes probably rotate, and these also have rotational energy.

This page was last updated June 27, 2015