What calculations go into predicting eclipses?

This is a followup to the question Is there a simple formula to calculate eclipse timings that you have on your website. Though I read Mr. Pandian's answer, I am still interested in seeing the "tedious" formulae for these eclipse calculations for myself. There are several pieces of software that calculate the eclipse (rather than retrieving it from a server on the Internet), and knowing the calculations necessary would indeed be helpful, as I am creating a weather model and would like to have an inderstanding of what I'm actually up against.

Only in this way can I create the piece of software I am writing.

Eclipse calculations are a combination of orbital mechanics and the geometry of the various orbits. I have put a few equations and figures to illustrate this in this pdf document.

You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this document.

March 2003, Jagadheep D. Pandian (more by Jagadheep D. Pandian) (Like this Answer)