How fast do particles travel in space?

I was wondering if you could tell me how fast particles in space travel?

The speed of particles depends on the process responsible for the flow of particles in space. Particles in the solar wind travel at aroung 400 km/s even though the speeds may vary from as high as 800 km/s to as low as 300 km/s. Particles in supernova blast waves travel at very high speeds, typically a few thousand km/s. There are other particles like neutrinos which travel essentially at the speed of light. Also, particles that constitute cosmic rays travel very close to the speed of light.

January 2003, Jagadheep D. Pandian (more by Jagadheep D. Pandian) (Like this Answer)

More questions about General Physics: Previous | Next

More questions about Space Exploration and Astronauts: Previous | Next

This page has been accessed 20425 times since March 9, 2003.
Last modified: March 9, 2003 5:18:39 PM