Can a person go into a black hole and come out alive?
Can a person go in a black hole and come back out alive and in one piece?
The short answer to this is no! I guess you'd probably like more of an explanation though!
You've really asked two questions which I will answer separately:
It is absolutely not possible to go into a black hole and come out again. In a way this is the real definition of a black hole. Not even light can escape, and light moves very very fast! The point where light can just escape is called the event horizon, and after you pass this point you are inside the black hole and can't get out.
It is possible however to enter a black hole and not die! What I mean is that you can pass the event horizon before you would be pulled apart by the strong gravity. Funnily enough it is only the very big black holes that this is possible for, as the event horizon is further out in these and so the tidal forces are not so strong there. However once you have passed the event horizon you will hit the singularity and die in a very short time!
Get More 'Curious?' with Our New PODCAST:
- Podcast? Subscribe? Tell me about the Ask an Astronomer Podcast
- Subscribe to our Podcast | Listen to our current Episode
- Cool! But I can't now. Send me a quick reminder now for later.
- What would you see from inside a black hole?
- Could an astronaut or satellite fall into a black hole that we didn't know about?
- What happens to the material that has been sucked into a black hole?
- Could you escape from a black hole if you were able to go faster than the speed of light?
- Are black holes spherical?
How to ask a question:
If you have a follow-up question concerning the above subject, submit it here. If you have a question about another area of astronomy, find the topic you're interested in from the archive on our site menu, or go here for help.
This page has been accessed 33547 times since October 3, 2002.
Last modified: May 25, 2003 2:25:49 PM
Ask an Astronomer is hosted by the Astronomy Department at Cornell University and is produced with PHP and MySQL.
Warning: Your browser is misbehaving! This page might look ugly. (Details)