What's the best college for astronomy?

I'm looking at colleges A, B, and C. [Names changed to protect the innocent.] What college has the best astronomy program?

In my opinion, it doesn't matter where you get your undergraduate degree, as long as you do research as an undergraduate. When you're shopping for colleges, I suggest that you look for one that offers an astronomy major (not just a minor) and ask about undergraduate opportunities for research.

You can get into an astronomy graduate program if you have a degree in physics, or geology, or even other related hard-sciences careers, but if you know that you want to do astronomy, it makes the most sense to find a school that offers that major!

Now, some people say that Caltech or MIT are the only places to go, but they're just snobs. : ) You can save a lot of money at a state school.

January 2002, Britt Scharringhausen (more by Britt Scharringhausen) (Like this Answer)