!What calculations go into predicting eclipses? (Advanced)

This is a followup to the question Is there a simple formula to calculate eclipse timings that you have on your website. Though I read Mr. Pandian's answer, I am still interested in seeing the "tedious" formulae for these eclipse calculations for myself. There are several pieces of software that calculate the eclipse (rather than retrieving it from a server on the Internet), and knowing the calculations necessary would indeed be helpful, as I am creating a weather model and would like to have an inderstanding of what I'm actually up against.

Only in this way can I create the piece of software I am writing.

Eclipse calculations are a combination of orbital mechanics and the geometry of the various orbits. I have put a few equations and figures to illustrate this in this pdf document.

You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this document.

Jagadheep D. Pandian

Jagadheep D. Pandian

Jagadheep built a new receiver for the Arecibo radio telescope that works between 6 and 8 GHz. He studies 6.7 GHz methanol masers in our Galaxy. These masers occur at sites where massive stars are being born. He got his Ph.D from Cornell in January 2007 and was a postdoctoral fellow at the Max Planck Insitute for Radio Astronomy in Germany. After that, he worked at the Institute for Astronomy at the University of Hawaii as the Submillimeter Postdoctoral Fellow. Jagadheep is currently at the Indian Institute of Space Scence and Technology.