Previously answered questions by Kristine Spekkens
(in order of times viewed)
- Why are the Moon and Sun sometimes orange or red?
- What elements make up the Sun?
- How can a star burn with no oxygen?
- How can the Universe expand faster than the speed of light during inflation?
- Can you fire a gun on the Moon?
- Is it possible to measure the temperature of the Sun?
- How does the Moon stay "suspended" in the air?
- How do you calculate the azimuth and altitude of an object?
- Is the Moon seen as a crescent (and not a "boat") all over the world? Is the same phase of the moon visible from the Northern and Southern hemispheres?
- Are names given to black holes?
- Can we look back far enough in time to see the Big Bang?
- Can the acceleration of the Universe be analogous to apparent acceleration in a airplane?
- Do supermassive black holes cause galaxy rotation?
- Why does the Sun appear larger on the horizon than overhead?
- Why don't people walk upside-down on the bottom of the Earth?
- Can I calculate the size of the Universe by converting light years to kilometres?
- Why doesn't dark matter fall into a black hole?
- Why do pictures of distant galaxies have higher resolution than those of nearby planets?
- Who (and when) discovered that the earth's axis is on a 23 degree tilt?
- Can I communicate faster than light?
- Is there a beginning and an end to a galaxy's life?
- Why is sea water salty, and not lake water?
- Do the Sun's or Earth's magnetic field reverse?
- What was that really big falling star that I saw?
- Is the Earth at the centre of the Universe?
- How do sunrise and sunset times change with altitude?
- How many moles of stars are in the known universe?
- How are galaxy distances inferred from their recessional velocities?
- When are there 5 Sundays in February?
- Can you use an infinite line of reflectors to send light to the edge of the Universe?
- What colors are visible through an amateur telescope?
- What is the origin of the stellar classification system "OBAFGKM"?
- Can two lunar eclipses occur in the same month?
- How are galaxies and solar systems similar?
- Do the magnitudes and colors of stars ever change?
- Is there such a thing as hyperspace?
- How do we know that sunspots are associated with the Sun's magnetic field?
- How do we know what parameters to use when simulating the collision of the Milky Way and Andromeda?
- Can I see details on Venus?
- Would the biggest airplanes cause tsunamis if they crashed?
- Why do photos of space taken from space never show any stars?
- Where does the kinetic energy of infalling bodies come from?
- Did I really hear a meteor?
- How is the Cepheid yardstick validated?
- What would happen if there was a collision between two white dwarfs?
- Why was the Platonic year named after Plato?
- Does inflation allow for an infinite number of universes?
- How can we find galaxies behind the Milky Way?
- Why is pressure broadening greater in low mass stars than in high mass stars?
- What causes a particle to decay?
- How long has humanity known that we live in a galaxy similar to others in the Universe?
- What would happen if you went back in time and killed your grandmother?
- Does the temperature of matter increase as it is accelerated to relativistic speeds?
- Can astronomers observe anything when the moon is full?
- Do we really observe the edges of galaxies at different epochs?
- Do we have to worry about relativity when studying galactic objects?
- Do binary or triple star systems form together?
- How are planets affected by the Hot Ionised Medium?
This page has been accessed times since .
Last modified: November 19, 2007 11:28:35 AM
Ask an Astronomer is hosted by the Astronomy Department at Cornell University and is produced with PHP and MySQL.
Warning: Your browser is misbehaving! This page might look ugly. (Details)